Words like “extraordinary” and “unprecedented” have become common trying to describe the events and challenges of the year 2020. Accordingly, recognition and awareness of mental health issues has grown. The number of adults experiencing depression has tripled in the United States since the coronavirus outbreak began, according to a recent JAMA Network study. Coping in these difficult circumstances has also elevated stress, anxiety, grief and substance abuse concerns.
Take time this month to focus on your emotional and mental wellbeing by utilizing SupportLinc resources to manage and address stressors such as:
- The 2020 Election – The United States’ long election season has generated considerable strain which may continue long after the votes have been counted. To help, visit the library of Flash Courses – including Stress Management, Dealing with Difficult People, Conflict Resolution and Preventing Burnout – for timely guidance and tools. Resilience Boosters are also available for a quick, guided self-care exercise. You may also find tip sheets such as Coping with Worry and Tension and Dealing with Uncertainty useful.
- COVID-19 Resurgence – With cases increasing across the globe this fall, staying safe and healthy during the pandemic is vital. The Coronavirus (COVID-19) Toolkit offers guidance and resources, including how to manage pandemic-related stress.
- The Holidays – Typically, the coming months are filled with holiday celebrations, gift giving and reconnecting with family and friends. This year may look and feel different for you and your loved ones, leading to disappointment, anxiety or loneliness. SupportLinc can help by providing emotional wellbeing support, holiday-related resources and referrals. Call 1-888-881-5462 for assistance or search “Holidays” in the “What’s on Your Mind” search bar here on the web portal. Visit the Holiday Toolkit for additional planning tools and stress management guidance.
- School Stress – Whether you are a parent of a student or are attending classes yourself, disruptions to the 2020-2021 school year have impacted the whole family. SupportLinc offers search engines to locate a new school, flash courses including Homeschooling and Virtual Learning and numerous articles and tip sheets such as Helping Your Child Succeed in School.
- Natural Disasters – find the information and resources you need to prepare yourself and your home through tip sheets, articles and more.
Building your coping skills and boosting your resiliency may be easier with the help of a licensed counselor. In-the-moment support is available from 24 hours a day, 365 days a year by calling SupportLinc at 1-888-881-5462.